Have you ever wondered what breeds make up your lovable mutt?
Many clients come into our hospital asking that same question during their pet’s annual check-up. Now we have an accurate way of unlocking the secrets to their DNA and what makes up their genetic blueprint! With the Royal Canin Genetic Health Analysis (the only blood-based breed identifying tool on the market), we are now able to:
Identify breed mix back to the great-grandparent level
Know a more accurate adult weight range for a more precise nutritional recommendation
Predict behavioral traits, including energy level, temperament, and trainability
Understand genetic markers that could signal a predisposition to certain health conditions, allowing us to monitor for early signs of disease
Did you know that 99% of all canine DNA is the same, from Great Danes to Chihuahuas? The remaining 1% is what makes up all the variations that we may see—like coat length, color, size and shape to those we may not see—like predispositions to certain heath conditions. This is why it is so important to understand the genes that make up our furry friends so we can predict and plan for the best ways to take care of them.
For example, dogs that have the collie breed in their ancestry tend to be sensitive to ivermectin, a very common drug used in veterinary medicine. Dogs with the boxer breed in their ancestry are at greater risk for cardiomyopathy. These are just two examples of how knowing the types of breeds that make your canine companion unique can potentially help improve or save the quality of their lives.
With this test, we are able to learn much more about each dog’s ancestry and predisposition to certain health issues than ever before. Based on your pet’s results, we can make accurate and specific suggestions for your individual pet regarding everything from medications to pet food to training and much more! The testing procedure is very simple; all it takes is a small blood sample that our veterinarian submits to the laboratory. Results are typically received in two to three weeks.
Please speak with a technician or receptionist for more information or if you would like to schedule an appointment.